Home Guard VM500-2 Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Home Guard work?
1) Locate the HG in the area where you want to monitor the temperature.
2) Plug in the phone line and power pack and then turn the HG on.
3) Call the HG from another phone, or cell phone.
4) Follow the spoken instructions and the manual to program the phone number (s) where you want the HG to call you in case of emergencies.
5) Press the "0" key and hang up the phone.
6) That's it. The HG is now monitoring your home!
What happens when the temperature goes below 45 degrees?
1) The HG begins to make emergency phone calls starting with the primary phone number.
2) If a person or answering machine answers the phone at the primary phone number, then the HG will say, "Warning the temperature is 45 degrees. Please enter you PIN number."
3) The HG will wait for a valid PIN number.
4) If a valid PIN number is entered, then the HG will stop making emergency phone calls.
5) If a valid PIN number is not entered, then the HG will call the second programmed phone number.
6) Once all of the programmed phone numbers have been called, the HG will wait fifteen minutes and begin making phone calls starting with the primary number.
7) Steps 1) through 6) are repeated until someone enters a valid PIN number or the temperature goes above 45 degrees.
Can a Home Guard and an answering machine share the same line?
Yes, most answering machines answer the phone on the 4th ring. To have the answering machine answer the phone, program the Home Guard to answer the phone on the 5th ring. To access the Home Guard, call your home and let the phone ring 3 times. Hang up and wait 20 seconds. Call your home again and on the 2nd ring the Home Guard will answer.
I don't want telephone solicitors to know that I am away for the winter when they call and hear the monitor answer and report the temperature. What can I do?
Add the DTA option to prevent the Home Guard from "broadcasting" the temperature when it answers the phone.
If you have already purchased your Home Guard call us and we can add the DTA option over the phone.
With DTA option enabled, the Home Guard will ask for the PIN number before reporting the temperature.
What do I need to do to store my unit when I am not going to use it for a long time?
Make sure you turn off your unit for storage. When you are ready to use it again, plug it in a few days before you need it to allow the battery to fully charge.
I purchased a Home Guard last year. Is there anything that I need to do to get it ready for this winter?
Charge the battery prior to leaving, by plugging the Guard in allowing it to charge for several days.
Battery Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to
charge the batteries?
The standard four hour battery backup takes approximately four to seven
days to become fully charged. Tests have shown that after one week of charging,
the battery lasted six hours, dialing two phone numbers every twenty minutes.
The twenty and thirty hour batteries
take approximately two weeks to become fully charged. Tests have shown that
after three weeks of charging, the thirty-hour battery lasted fifty hours,
dialing two phone numbers every twenty minutes.
a 20 or 30 hour battery, where is it?
The optional batteries are installed internally at the factory, no user
installation is necessary.